We can help
CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
The Law Office of John E. Marszalek handles all types of personal injury cases in Chicago and other cities in Illinois. We represent injured people. John Marszalek has been licensed as a lawyer in Illinois since 1976. Our office is located in downtown Chicago at 120 West Madison Street, Suite 801.
When we say we handle all types of personal injury cases, we mean our practice is concentrated in that area and in that area only. If you are seeking a lawyer to handle a personal injury case anywhere in Illinois, please feel free to contact us. It does not cost any money to talk to us about your case. All initial consultations are free. Many times, we are able to tell you over the telephone whether we are able to help you.
We handle cases on a contingent-fee basis. We ask for no money up front. We are paid only if we make a recovery of money for you. Our fee is a percentage of the recovery. If there is no recovery, you pay no attorney fees.
We are happy to accept referrals from other lawyers. We strive to reach agreements with other lawyers interested in referring cases to our office. We follow the ethical rules of the Supreme Court of Illinois. In all cases referred by other lawyers, the client is fully apprised in writing of the fee agreement.
Chicago personal injury attorney John E. Marszalek is a trial lawyer. When a settlement offer is unacceptable, we go to trial. The Law Office of John E. Marszalek has tried personal injury cases to verdict in State court in the following counties in Illinois: Cook, DuPage, Lake, Kane, Will, Kankakee and Jackson. In addition, we have tried personal injury cases to verdict in federal court in the Northern District of Illinois and the Central District of Illinois.
Sometimes, being a trial lawyer requires handling an appeal. We handle appeals. The Law Office of John E. Marszalek has argued numerous appeals in the Appellate Courts of Illinois.
The field of personal injury law covers many different types of cases. Some of the cases handled by the Law Office of John E. Marszalek include:
- Construction site injuries such as a case in which we represented the widow of a steeplejack who was killed when a scaffold on which he was working collapsed. The scaffold had been erected to provide a platform on which the workers could stand while dismantling a smokestack. The company that had hired the steeplejack’s employer to dismantle the smokestack denied liability arguing, among other things, that the steeplejack had failed to attach his safety belt to a structurally sound part of the smokestack. After years of fighting the case in court, a settlement was reached for millions of dollars. Plus, an annuity was purchased for the widow and her children which paid them monthly sums for the rest of their lives
- Workers compensation claims and injuries to railroad workers. For example, we filed a workers compensation claim on behalf of a widow whose husband was struck and killed by a hit-and-run vehicle. Her husband was a truck driver who was unloading his truck at the time he was hit. There were no witnesses to the collision. The truck driver’s employer refused to pay the widow the workers compensation benefits to which we felt she was entitled. We filed the claim at the Illinois Workers Compensation Commission, and we were successful. The widow was awarded weekly benefits for what turned out to be the rest of her life;
- Product liability claims such as a case we handled on behalf of a fork lift operator who was trained improperly. During his first week on the job, when he applied the brake the way he was trained, the fork lift did not stop. It collided with a rack of materials. An artery leading to one of his kidneys was smashed, and the blood flow to his kidney was blocked. Consequently, the man lost all function of that kidney. We were able to obtain a significant recovery for the man against the company that trained him based, in part, on our argument that the man was a likely candidate for dialysis in the future because of his underlying pre-existing diabetes and the fact that he had only one functioning kidney remaining after the accident.;
- Injuries caused by a violation of civil rights such as a case we handled on behalf of a sixteen year-old girl who was arrested in her own home by a suburban police officer. She was babysitting for her younger siblings when the officer knocked on the door looking for a suspect in a robbery. When the girl denied any knowledge of the robbery, the officer threw her out of the house onto a porch using excessive force. She was placed in handcuffs and taken to jail. She sustained injuries to her body. The case against her was thrown out. We filed suit for violation of her civil rights. The case was brought to a successful conclusion;
- Medical malpractice, including but not limited to kidney injury cases. We have enjoyed particular success litigating cases on behalf of people whose kidneys were damaged as a result of someone’s negligence. One such case involved the death of a thirty-nine year-old woman who was the mother of a teen-age son. She had pre-existing kidney problems. Her doctors were aware of this fact. Nonetheless, one of her doctors prescribed a strong narcotic pain medication to attempt to alleviate some pain the woman was experiencing. Because of the pre-existing kidney problems, the woman’s body was unable to clear the narcotic pain medication from her system. The medication caused her death. We were able to bring the case to a successful conclusion;
- Motor vehicle cases. A few years ago, we represented a father and his young daughter who were injured while they were inside a motor vehicle. The father was driving. His young daughter was strapped into a child seat directly behind her father. Their vehicle was struck head-on by a negligent driver who crossed the center line. The claim against the other driver was settled quickly, but we did not stop there. We filed suit against the manufacturer of the vehicle in which our clients were riding. We proved that the driver’s seat collapsed upon impact, and the back of the driver’s seat struck the head of the daughter. We obtained additional money against the car manufacturer; and
- Cases involving injuries caused by a defective condition on property owned by someone else or caused by an activity being conducted negligently on property owned by someone else. One such case we handled was on behalf of a pedestrian who was walking on a City sidewalk when she tripped over a step extending from a restaurant. Our client broke her arm as a result of the fall. The restaurant was adjacent to the City sidewalk. We hired a surveyor who determined that the step extended beyond the property line of the restaurant onto the City sidewalk. The case against the restaurant was settled for a significant amount of money.
Chicago personal injury lawyer John Marszalek’s peers in the legal profession have accorded him with the highest rating standard, signifying the greatest level of professional excellence for legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards. Martindale-Hubbell has awarded John Marszalek a rating of AV Preeminent, the highest possible rating.
If you are looking for a lawyer to handle a personal injury case in Chicago or anywhere else in Illinois, do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of John E. Marszalek. Our normal office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We are available to meet by appointment on a Saturday, on a Sunday, or in the evening. We have members of our staff who speak Spanish.
We are here to help you.